Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What Not to Say to a Pregnant Woman

It amazes me the things that people say to a woman that is pregnant. There really needs to be a book about this educating people on what is okay and not okay....it's baffling sometimes!! (maybe once I have spare time I will write the book...hahaha spare time!) Now I know some of you reading this know how opinionated and out spoken I am....but I do have cooth (sp?) and know that it is inappropriate to make a comment about a woman's weight or body (esp when preggo)!

The thing that really amazes me is that 99% of the comments that friends and I have heard come from women...not men!!!!! Shocking!

These are all real quotes made to friends of mine that have children and/or myself....

"You look like you should have had that baby yesterday."

"Are you sure you aren't having twins?" (especially when followed by...)

"Maybe you should have the doctor make sure it isn't twins."

"You look like you are going to pop!" (only irritating when you hear it everyday - I started following this quote with "I am going to pop - you in the face!" - it got the point across:)

"Don't you and your husband have a TV in your bedroom?" (I wish this one had been said to me because my response would have embarrassed the hell out of that woman!!! LOL)

"Awww honey, you are gaining weight in your face."

"I just don't see how you can get any bigger and make it."

"Don't you know what causes this?" (why yes I know what causes it...it's fun - you should try it more, sounds like you need it!)

"You look like you swallowed a watermelon."

"Your butt is started to get bigger." (what the ??? - did you look at yours lately?)

"Hey fat girl why don't you start the food line?"

"How much do you weigh?" or "How much did you gain?" (ummm, how much do you weigh?)

"Good gosh, how many kids are you going to have?"

"In today's economy you are crazy to have more kids!" (last time I checked you weren't paying to raise my kids!!)

and you never, ever, ever ask a woman when she is due or make any comment suggesting pregnancy unless you are 200% sure she actually is pregnant! This has happened to almost every friend I have (and me)...even friends who haven't had children. Hmph!!!!

In twenty years when my kids are grown and in college look for my book...until then you can refer people to this post! haha

(this post is dedicated to all my girls who contributed and/or found humor in it LOL)

1 comment:

It's a Beautiful Life said...

Awesome!!!! The fat girl starting the food line is so sad! Miss you wish I could have seen your prego belly.... Love you all.