I will make this long story as short as I can....
Over the summer I was getting "stomach bug" episodes quite frequently (a few each month), by the time the 4th one happened I knew it was not a bug or food poisoning & something else was wrong. On the 6th one I went to the ER. I felt so terrible I didn't care what they did to me I just wanted answers. Well a few M.D.'s later I had didley squat! So I went to my fav Naturopathic doc at Peoples RX and he freaking ROCKS! Instantly had a few answers, still a lot to go, but it was a start. I had at least 1 bacterial infection on my lower intestine. Glamorous sounding I know. After doing more round of samples and labs we figured out more.
My immune system basically "bottomed out" which let the bacteria run wild in my gut....NOT FUN! A severely low immune system can cause food sensitivities and vise versa...so not sure which started which. He put me on a very strict diet:
I am free of
Dairy
Soy
Gluten
Pork
Corn
Caffeine/Chocolate
Sounds fun huh!? It has been 2 months and I feel a lot better. I still have a ways to go, but it is one heck of a start. It will take 6+ months to get my immune system where it needs to be. The bacteria is under control as long as I follow the diet. **Everything I had to cut out of my diet are natural irritants to your gut, so when you are sick they can make things so much worse**
I ended up having multiple bacterias...one being the group B strep they test preggos for before delivery. I had it with each of my boys and was given penicillin....well it is antibiotic resistant. Stupid mainstream medicine pisses me off!
I have learned so much through this ordeal, about food & medicine. I am a firm believer in everything happening for a reason and a lot of good has come from this...not to mention losing 20 lb so far from the diet ;) can't complain about that HA! I will never go back to eating the way I did, nor will my family!
These are the pills I have to take everyday. It is A LOT! But it is all from Peoples RX and natural which is what was important to me - for my own health & Porter's. He is still nursing once a day.

I made very tasty gluten free peanut butter cookies with Arzu.....kids loved them too!

This Chocolate Almond milk is my sweet treat every now & then. It is so yummy! Kids love it too, plus it has 25% of your daily Vit D....awesome =)

I am getting pretty creative with this too =) Endless possibilities!!

Having the diet I have now makes me look at food in a whole new way. I have been quite picky about what my family eats for a while and I check ingredients on things all the time, but now it is at a whole new level. I LOVE the changes that are happening around here and all the things I am learning!






1 comment:
Oh my gosh! That is so crazy. But I'm glad you're getting back on track. I want to learn so much more about natural living but am struggling to find the time to do anything, and Brent is so resistant to anything 'natural' (he calls me his hippie). You should blog more about what you've learned and educate others (namely ME)!!
Post a Comment